Times are troubled for many of us these days (myself included). Those of us who are unemployed are hunting like mad for that next great opportunity and those of us who are employed are worried if they’ll have a job tomorrow.
However, it’s the week before Halloween. I can’t lie – it’s always been my favorite holiday. Call me a girl who never quite grew out of playing dress-up. For a few short nights, we get to put on a costume and pretend to be someone else.
Oscar Wilde once said, “man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he’ll tell you the truth.” The truth is, we all need to relax and have a good time. Life is too short not to enjoy it, even when times are tough.
With all that in mind, here’s my simple list of things that should at least make one person smile right now:
1. Trees turning. Central/Southern Indiana has historically beautiful falls. This one is no exception to that.
2. Apple cider, carmel apple spice drinks at Starbucks, apples dipped in carmel, and apple pie.
3. Watching “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” and realizing Linus has been sitting in that pumpkin patch for as long as my parents have been married (45 years).
4. Seeing little kids go trick-or-treating for the first time. Then, watching them realize later the correlation between amount of candy eaten on Halloween Night vs the tummy ache on November First.
5. Music. Hearing one song can perk a person right up. By example, I am listening to the Catherine Wheel’s “I Want To Touch You” as I write this. It’s always been a favorite of mine (lord bless streaming radio and Sirius/XM).
6. Being with the people you love and who love you. Even if you’re un-attached, Halloween is a time to share with your friends (even if they’re dressed like evil clowns).
Remember, if Linus Van Pelt can still hold out hope for a visit from the alleged Great Pumpkin, then the rest of us can hold out hope as well.